Thursday, April 02, 2009

When the Student is Ready, a Teacher will Appear

One of my main motivations in coming to India for such an extended trip was to train and deepen my yoga practice. I had founded my yoga practice in San Diego, and while I felt blessed to have been learned so much from so many wonderful teachers, but I knew there was more knowledge out there. At times the classes and workshops I attended seemed like mere social gatherings. Many practitioners were so obsessed with their flexibility and depth of their asanas that they seemed to have forgotten that yoga is a means to connect with The Divine. Sure, partially I wanted to study in the birthplace of yoga, and of my parents, to see how it was actually practiced in its native context.

I decided before I left not to worry about where or how I would train, that the Universe would put me in the right spot at the right time and all would be clear. But Rishikesh, the self-proclaimed World Capital of Yoga, was very high on the list of possibilities. My first full day there I walked randomly, examining the posters splayed all over the city streets. I asked everyone I met with a yoga mat where they were practicing, what they thought. I stopped into a few ashrams and examined their schedule of classes. It didn't take long to become overwhelmed with the options, all the different styles of practices.

I sat with the head yoga teacher at the Vedanta Ashram and asked about his classes. "You see many people these days want to take bits and pieces of traditional Hatha Yoga and change parts of it, they don't respect the traditions." He complained. "Do you think that is a problem?" I asked. "Yes of course" he replied. "Correct yoga means practicing just as the ancient Yogis did, not evolving the practice." I thanked him for his time and politely excused myself.

That didn't sound like my own approach towards spirituality, or life in general for that matter. I loved being able to take bits and pieces of whatever spoke to me from whatever traditions I found and use those to create my own path. I had a perfectly good religious tradition, Islam, on which I was happy to fall back on if I ever decided I needed that in my life. But I had no inclination to adopt Hinduism instead, religion wasn't what I was searching for.

The next day I was able to sit with the teacher at the Brahman Yoga and Wellness Center. Their approach was refreshing, they made a special point emphasize their inclusiveness on different practices, Hatha yoga, Kundalini Yoga, Ashtanga Yoga and so on. But I noted they also offered courses in everything from Reiki to Indian cooking to Vedic astrology to Aryuvedic treatments. I wondered if a school that offered such a wide-range of knowledge could possibly provide me with the depth that I was searching for.

I allowed myself to become a little frustrated, wondering what it was exactly that I was looking for and if I would ever find it. Maria was arriving in town the next day and was also interested in deepening her yoga practice. It also just so happened to be in time for the introductory lecture at the Agama Center, the posters and the trikas had caught my eye. We woke up early and got some breakfast before heading to the talk.

The head instructor, Khush, began by speaking about what yoga actually is. Sure yoga might help you lose weight, reduce stress and make you more flexible ... but those were all side affects from the true purpose of yoga, which is nothing short of attaining complete Nirvana, union with The Divine. The tantric practice of yoga actually pre-dated it's intermingling with the Hindu relgion. Tantra, like other esoteric traditions stood orthogonally to Hatha yoga, much like Sufism did to Islam, Qabalah to Judaism, Taoism and Zen to mass Buddhism. They all offered a means to access God directly stripping away the dogmatic beliefs, without the hierarchies of the established order, the intecessories that stood between you and the Universal spirit. Tantra was presented as an empirical science verifiable through direct subjective experiences. There was no theology to adhere to, only actions and re-actions explained through the laws of Karma.

It offered a way to live in the world without being of the world, as opposed to the Buddhist traditions that required renunciation from the things we attach to in order to attain Enlightenment. Tantra offered a path of transmuting the human desires we all have and using them as a means to access the Supreme Consciousness. As Khush continued I found myself nodding my head in agreement over and over again. I noticed Maria doing the same. It was as if someone had taken all the thoughts in my head and finally presented them in a coherent manner which I could support.

Attaining Enlightenment has never been one of my goals for this life-time. If it happens, wonderful, but for me the truth is indeed a pathless land. Becoming a better, stronger person, burning some Karmic seeds, those are the things that motivate me. Tantra was presented as a short-cut to the most austere requirements of other traditions, but for me even it's teachings may prove to be too strict. Regardless, having one more foundation to draw from, one more source of knowledge from which to strengthen my own practice, shall prove to be indispensable, no doubt. The classes start tomorrow, and I can't wait to put this knowledge into practice.

1 comment:

existential.femme said...

yay!! wonderful you've found yet another groove to inspire and explore. And you're right to steer away from old pragmatics, they are foundations.. but one over the other is never a complete reflection of the multitude we have in one creative moment.

-Trang