Thursday, April 06, 2006

Que Sera Sera

Anna and Joanna got back from the Foz de Iguazu last night. And of course they had wondeful stories to tell of how amazingly gorgeous it was. They showed me their pictures and succeeded in making me incredibly jealous, but somehow I already knew that was going to happen.

It was Anna´s last night in Buenos Aires before she flew back to New York. And the girls wanted to thank me for giving them a place to crash so they decided to treat me to a nice dinner. I started to protest, it wasn´t that big a deal, and I didn´t mind the company, but then Paul gave me some excellent advice. ¨When a girl offers to buy you dinner, say ´thank you´and smile politely.¨

We had a great meal at an Armenian restaurant that Paul recommended. Apparently Armenian, Greek, Turkish and Middle Eastern food are all basically the same thing. Why they bother giving them all different names I don´t know. Paul joined us a little later in the night just as we were finishing up our meal. And pretty soon our one cafĂ© before heading to the dance floor turned into a two hour conversation.

I´ve come to the conclusion that my favorite part about travelling is just the random people you meet and the long drawn out stories that we all share. We compared our respective criminal records and tortured romances. Joanna is married in what seems to be a very healthy relationship, but she got a kick out of our ridiculous tales. Everyone in this world has a story to tell, and if you give them the chance it´s amazing what you can learn about them, and yourself.

Eventually the folks at the restaurant told us they were closing up and we figured it was about time we hit the dance floor. I can see the tango practice has really paid off, I´m by no means good, but I feel more comfortable. And it sure is fun being able to twirl a girl around the dance floor without stepping on, bumping into or falling over the rest of the patrons. I practiced my dips with Anna again and Joanna kept correcting my poor form. But as 4 AM rolled around I knew I had to head home, I had classes tomorrow and we were all kinda ready to call it a night.

Anna has already made plans to come back to Buenos Aires in about a month. When she explained the travel benefits and flexible work scheduled she recieved as a flight attendent and how they applied to family as well I asked her to marry me. She laughed and kinda walked away, so I took that as a no. I guess it´s all for the best, she´s too tall for me anyway.

But if anyone else out there knows a beautiful, single, blonde haired, blue-eyed, Swedish, flight-attendent who´s closer to about 5´4¨ drop me a line. Until then I guess I´ll just keep trying to find some itinerary that actually works with my frequent flier miles.

No comments: