Thursday, January 19, 2006

It's hard to say chau

I've been saying a lot of goodbyes lately and they haven't gotten any easier. This last set in Medellin were especially hard. Gabriel made me promise to stay in touch via e-mail and we trading some parting gifts. He gave me a CD of Colombian music and I gave him a US Dollar, which he seemed to be quite thrilled by.

Martha and I decided to say our goodbyes over a 1/2 litre of Ron Medellin de 3 Anos. I'm not sure if that made it harder or easier, but it was damn hard. Martha told me no matter if I find another girlfriend in Cuba or Rio or Seattle, just make sure I never forget about our time together. I assured her that wasn't possible.

Truth of the matter is I've spent my life running away from everyone I've ever loved and who's ever loved me. It's not that I've ever made a concious decision to do that, it's just I can't imagine any other alternative. I wonder if I'll ever made it back to Medellin?

No comments: