I can't understand what it means
Buenos Aires at last. When I began this trip there were only three things that I really knew for certain. I was going to start in Colombia, I'd be in Rio for Carnaval and at some point I'd wind up in Buenos Aires. Here I am again.
BsAs is quickly rushing into the number one spot on my list of all-time favorite world cities. I've taken to describing it as Paris, without the Parisians. It's full of wonderful parks and artwork, beautiful architecture and quiet little shops, fantastic cafes and bakeries, amazing nightlife all the benefits of a metropolitan city and and of course the best steak and wine in the world (ok, maybe french wine is better, but you have to put up with the French).
Argentineans in generally, and PorteƱos specifically (inhabitants of Buenos Aires) have developed quite a reputation in South America for being snooty and arrogant. It might have something to do with the fact that they've taken to refering to themselves as the "Europeans of South America" And while it's certainly true that the average Argentinian I've run across isn't as friendly as the average Colombian or as fun-loving as the average Brazilian, they seem like pretty swell people to me.
And after spending the last 3 months travelling through one smelly, dirty Latin American city after another (actually Medellin was fairly clean and so was Panama City) it's quite refreshing to be in a jewel of a city where my olfactory senses aren't constantly assaulted. I can drink the water, flush the toilet paper and eat all of the food.
The only problem I've run into so far is Brazil left me with a little present. There's some kind of tickle in the back of my throat, which has kept me from enjoying BsAs to it's fullest this last day and a half. But patience, patience, said the man. All things will come to pass in due time.
I plan on being here for a bit of time. I'm looking for a univeristy to attend to actually learn this language I've been butchering for the last several months. And somehow just settling down and renting an apartment has a certain appeal to it, after spending the last three months living out of a bag and travelling from country to country. I could see myself spending quite a bit of time here infact, guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
No comments:
Post a Comment