Sunday, March 12, 2006

I've already pissed off the feminists, who's next?

Whenever I find myself in a mixed international crowd and I introduce myself as a US citizen, the same question invariably arises..."so what do you think of George Bush?" When speaking with anyone who doesn´t have a good grasp of the english language there is only one acceptable answer. "George Bush es un carbon!" [don´t bother correcting me, I´ve already been mocked endlessly for my latest linguistic miscue]

But when there is a solid foundation for communication I find myself more at ease to discuss some of the nuances of my position. No I don´t particularly like George Bush. No I didn´t and still don´t support the war in Iraq. Yes I am extremely bothered by what seems like an excessively arrogant administration.

But the US is at quite the crossroad in our national history. Right now, moreso than ever before, our position as the unquestioned world super power is at risk. The status quo looks certain to change with the emergence of China and India on the global stage and an increasingly united Europe (although they still remind me of a bunch of kids trying to get along during recess).

I do know this. If in 20 years time there is by some miracle functioning democracies in Afghanistan, Iraq and Palestine (and maybe Iran?) than George W. Bush will eclipse the allure that has been hoisted on Ronald Reagan since his death, and will be remembered as one of the greatest US Presidents ever.

What´s the likelihood that this will actually come to pass? I have no fucking clue, and anyone who tells you they do is either blinded by a partisan viewpoint or lying. What bothers me most about the world opinion that I´ve heard so far is there seems to be an actual hope that the democratic experiment in all of these countries fail miserably and they desend into civil war. Then everyone can look at the US and say, "see, we told you so."

I understand this viewpoint from the Latin Americans. They´ve seen first hand what US intervention has brought. For over 100 years the US has been interfering in the hemisphere and largely brought nothing but grief an misery, along with a string of ruthless dictators, and lots of tourists in hawaiin shirts.

But my European friends seem to have either forgotten or decided to collectively ignore their history. For over two millenia Europe waged war internally, and then when it became feasible, in every part of the world. Twice in the last 100 years that silly little peninsula dangling off of Asia has instigated a war the likes of which were previously unimaginable and brought the rest of the world to the brink of chaos. And both times the US of A has come on in to save the day in the nick of time, like the good cowboys we are.

It's not that I expect everlasting gratitude for what our grandparents did (yes, even my grandparents), but I do find the intellectual snobbery that accompanies any political debate with most Europeans to be more than a little insulting. Yes maybe you've figured some things out, but it wasn't that long ago that the rest of the world was suffering the consequences of your petty squables.

For the last 50 years they have been at relative peace (did someone mention the Balkans?) Perhaps it is true, the collective unconcious of Europeans have benefited from those years. Almost every country in Europe had its moment to shine, to be the world super power. And perhaps they have learned that it really isn't worth it.

Whether we like it or not, Pax Americana is coming to an end. It's not feasible for the US to continue to dominate the world stage indefinately. The rate of change continues to advance. The Roman Empire lasted for something like 1500 years, the British for only 200. The US hasn't quite hit 100 years yet, how many more do we have to go?

The Bush Administration seems to be doing what they believe they need to do to push that timeline out as far as possible. Everything that our administration is doing right now is designed to counter the threats to US Imperialism and ensure that the US continues to be the only global super power. But short of nuking China, it's bound to fail.

I don't know when, but I believe within my lifetime we'll see a shift in the power distribution in the world stage. And I say, bring it on. As much as I might be annoyed by political debates I've had with Europeans, I think they're on to something. It just isn't worth being a world super power.

When you're the top dog, everyone is aiming for you. And are actively searching for any point of weakness to take advantage of. You have a few allies, who will back you up when times are good, but will turn on you if they can improve their own position. And some brash upstart who has had a string of good luck is just waiting for the chance to knock you off your high horse. But when you're Germany no one cares about you except for the cars (sorry Patrick, couldn't resist). The end of the world as we know it is coming, and I feel fine.

No comments: