Saturday, March 11, 2006

Somewheres in this universe there's a place that you can call home

Argentina is where it all started. I was there about a year ago, my first trip to South America. My first taste of the culture, the music and of being immersed in the spanish language and I loved every second of it. Of course the wine, women and steaks didn´t hurt either.

I´ve had the travel bug for as long as I can remember. When I was young my parents moved around a bit and my Dad was always travelling for work. I suppose that´s where it comes from. But there´s been something different about Latin America. Of all the places I´ve ever visited, this is where I´ve felt the most at home. Maybe it´s just because I´m spending more time looking right now.

I´m kinda done with Rio and Brazil in general. I can´t actually believe I´m saying that, but it´s true. Beautiful city, wonderful people, but I´m just kinda done. I haven´t really learned much Portuguese down here, but my Spanish has improved. I´ve been looking forward to settling down in Buenos Aires for a bit. Finding a language school to attend, taking some dance lessons, renting an apartment for two months or so. Bill says he´s going to come down to visit and my sister Asma is considering it too. It was nice to have Ellick and Samira meet me in Rio, hopefully this will be equally as good.

After three months of travelling I am kinda feeling like I need a bit more structure in my life. A schedule, a routine. Yes waking up every morning in Rio, hitting the suco stand for some mango juice (they have excellent mangoes here you know), lounging on the beach for a couple of hours, going for a swim and hanging out with whoever was around in the hostel has been a lot of fun. But it never really seemed like more than a vacation. My rudder seemed disconnected and even I need more of a direction than just wherever the currents take me.

They say you can´t go back home. I wonder if you can go back to Argentina? Who knows if BsAs will live up to the fantastic time I had there last year, it certainly won´t be the same. Well I´ve got my ticket bought for this tuesday, so I suppose I´ll find out then.

3 comments:

Kashif's Spot said...

Actually I'm off to try and learn spanish, teaching english doesn't pay well enough

Anonymous said...

Hi, very interesting post, greetings from Greece!

Anonymous said...

top [url=http://www.001casino.com/]free casino bonus[/url] coincide the latest [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com/]casino games[/url] unshackled no set aside reward at the chief [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]baywatch casino
[/url].