Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Philosopher’s have such cool names

Like all of them. And it’s almost always just one name. Nietzsche and Kierkegaard (his first name too, but I can’t type it because I don’t have o with / through it thingy on my keyboard) and Camus (it’s just cool because no-one seems to know how to pronounce it) and Socrates and Buddha.

Now before you get all up in arms Adam Smith and John Stuart Mill are just the exceptions that prove the rule. Besides you could make the argument that they’re economists not philosophers, although I don’t really buy it.

How come no one names their kids after philosophers? There must be a million Brittney’s and Justin’s running around these days, but when’s the last time you met a Noam? (ok, ok, he may not actually be a philosopher either depending on your definition, but whatever)

Maybe it´s just that people with cool names (ok, wierd names) are more likely to sit around and try to make sense of the world.

Kashif Hasan would be a good name for a philosopher. People would mispronounce it and then snobby intellectuals in black turtle-necks could correct them as they flick their cigarettes demonstrating their disdain and superiority.

[ Side note: I’ve decided I’m going back to pronouncing like my parents (grandmother really) intended (KAH-shif Hus-un). I’ve been Ka-sheef for about 9 years, and I’m done with it]

Now some Kashif Hasan just has to philosophize something worth repeating. Then coffee-shop snobs could say things like “…well Hasan [or maybe Kashif, I haven’t decided yet] teaches us that enlightenment is obtained by embracing the misery of life and having the courage to define ones existence…” or some other such fortune-cookie wisdom. Maybe that other Kashif Hasan who works at Microsoft will come up with something like that…I’m counting on you buddy!

1 comment:

Deepika said...

(KAH-shif Hus-un)

I am glad you've decided to go back to your real name. I can't seem to say it enough, it's simply beautiful. The meaning of your name also fits your personality, as of now at least.

one who reveals, a discoverer.