Stalker Redux
Well it turns out Gabriel has more than one gig. Just like everyone else is Medellin Gabriel is working what he´s got. His family runs a little shop outside the metro station where you can buy everything from a freshly made smoothies to individual cigarettes to batteries and empanadas.
He continues to stop by and call at all sorts of random times. But at this point I´ve just decided to go with it. He seems like a great guy. I´ve been spending a lot of time hanging out at his shop, just shooting the breeze.
We talk about the girls as they walk by, smoke cigarettes, and listen to whatever music the street vendors are hawking that day. He always introduces me as "mi caballero" (literally my cowboy, but more of a generic friendly term). And then he proceeds to tell everyone I don´t understand any spanish and laugh. I always reply with "entiendo un poco" (I understand a little) and he just laughs again. He´s a talker, and even when I´m sitting at his shop for two hours on end, there´s hardly ever a minute of silence.
But Gabriel has been super helpful, even if a little over-bearing. He helped me figure out some random problem I was having with my cell phone, calls over to the other restaurants to order me food, whenever someone orders a smoothie ("jugo con leche") he makes a little extra and gives it to me, gives me beer and tea (not at the same time) and absolutely refused to accept any money for anything. Great guy, but most of all he´s helping me restore my faith in humanity.
No comments:
Post a Comment