Well it’s been about 6 weeks since I left Seattle. "What are you going to do in South America" everyone asked me beforehand. "Well I think I’m just going to lounge on the beach" was my standard reply. But a fate would have it I hadn’t made it to a damn beach yet, until just now.Bill, Yanet and I decided it was time. The sea was calm, everyone was feeling ok, we had figured out where we wanted to go (when you’re on an island covered by beaches that’s not such an easy task) so off we were. Well almost, everything in Cuba functions on it’s o
wn time. There were bags to pack or something, and then someone wanted to eat, then Junia was going with us and then she wasn’t. Finally we headed out about 3 in the afternoon, which actually worked out great, it gave us a good 3 hours or sunshine at the beach.The water was beautiful and refreshing, the sun was hot, we found a perfect little secluded spot for all of us. There were no reefs nearby and the water was just a little choppy, so my snorkeling gear stayed in it’s bag. It continues to get dragged around from continent to continent without getting used, but I’m convinced it’s just a matter of time.
After we had our fill of fun in the sun we decided to let Yanet in on the bad news. We were going to take the "Wah-wah" back to town instead of the outrageously priced tourist taxis. The Wah-wah is the local bus Cubans use, where you’re packed like sardines and holding on for dear life, but it costs about $0.02 to get on as opposed to the $15 tourist cabs. I believe "what am I doing hanging out with these crazy gringos" were Yanet’s exact words.
No comments:
Post a Comment