Sunday, February 26, 2006

Set adrift on memory bliss

Bill has this story he likes to tell. It's about this Brother-in-law who is a lawyer or something for an insurance company. Turns out this company did some study and they found that somewhere around 60% of the people who have been out of work for about six-months or longer never go back. And apparently it has nothing to do with the amount of insurance claim they might recieve.

We talked about this a lot. Bill sold his company about 5 years ago and has just been travelling since. I've been mucking around for about two months. We both kinda agreed that there was something basic about men that requires them to do something. Something to give meaning to their existence. And that seems to be unique to men, most women seem to find meaning in their children. Men seem to be different, they need more, need a sense of accomplishment.

Given how much we started talking about this, and especially how this relates to both of our lives we had to call it something. So we came up with the "Rudder Theory" Without something to give your life purpose you just lose direction and abandon your idealism. Start drifting out aimlessly.

Maybe it doesn't even matter what. Lately I've decided to do some stuff I've been meaning to do. Learn to swim, learn to dance, speak Spanish fluently...and a few more things. At some point I´ll likely return to the "real" world, but for right now, reality is no friend of mine.

5 comments:

Scottay said...

You should know by know what give men a sense of direction...

Kashif's Spot said...

Egads, I have offended Samira's enlightened and politically correct sense of being, where we cannot discuss the differences between men and women. Trust me sister, it's true!

Kashif's Spot said...

Maybe that's the difference, I guess I just see it all as temporary satisfaction.

Anonymous said...

hot man sex

Anonymous said...

couple looking for single man