Monday, February 06, 2006

Turns out it’s just a big freakin’ ditch

I’ve had a couple people say to me “Ooooh, you’re going to Panama, well you gotta check out the canal” This guy I met my first night at the hostel told me pretty much the same thing when I asked him about it “Well you can’t go to Panama and not see the canal.” While the logic seemed to make sense that didn’t exactly sound like a ringing endorsement.

I’ve always been wary of doing the stuff that I’m supposed to do. You know like going to Chicago and going up the Sears Tower. So far on this trip I had managed to avoid doing anything I was supposed to, but that was kinda the point.

But I admit it, I gave in and went. The got me with the “engineering marvel” part. So I spent the $4 on a cab there and another $4 on a cab back to the hotel. And I even spent the $8 for the full access pass to the Miraflores Locks Visitor Center. And it turns out, it’s just a big ditch that ships go through.

I’m sure it’s really great engineering, and its importance to the global economy is indeed staggering. But when they call it the 8th wonder of the world I don’t know. I remember when Bill and I were in Medellin and we decided that the derrière of a typical 23-year old paisa was the 8th wonder of the world. I didn’t see anything today that made me change my mind.

But if you happen to be in Panama City and you’re looking to fill some free time, and you happen to really be into canals, by all means, go check it out. But I’d suggest saving a couple bucks by only getting the $5 pass and avoiding the exhibits altogether. Unless you’re into exhibits too.

No comments: