Friday, February 03, 2006

Final thoughts on Cuba

It’s only a matter of time. This can’t possibly continue. I’m amazed it’s lasted 47 years. But these days you actually hear people openly criticizing Fidel and the government. Everyone says things are getting really bad, even the tourists have stopped coming. There’s nothing propping up this failed experiment anymore, and as soon as Castro can’t pay for food and electricity, that will be it. I just hope the Venezuelans or the Chinese don’t get a foothold.

Al Pacino is a brilliant actor. I never imagined that he actually nailed that Cuban speaking English accent so perfectly in Scarface. Everytime Yanet asked me "Wha ju tawkin abou?" I wanted to duck because I thought maybe she’d bitch slap me at the dinner table.

I still can’t dance worth a god-damn. I didn’t stick to the lessons like I should have, but I can keep the rhythm now and trust me that’s progress. I think one day I’m actually going to put for the time and effort it takes to do this right. It sure seemed like everyone was having a lot of fun out there, and I did too, given enough rum.

I have no idea what language they actually speak in Cuba, but it definitely isn’t Spanish. I’ve taken to calling it Cubano, and everyone universally seems to acknowledge it’s got it’s own distinct flavor. I guess that’s one of the things that happens when you are isolated on an island, especially one that was closed of to the world for about 40 years.

When the revolution finally comes, and it will come, perhaps sooner than we can all imagine, it would be a great time to buy a small coastal island. Stay away from the cities, that’s where all the big money will go, and there’s so much investment that needs to be done there you’d be better of starting with a pristine piece of land.

I really started to enjoy smoking cigars. I can even occasionally get a smoke ring. If I didn’t know better I would think they’re addictive or something. Bill explained it to me this way, "learning to smoke cigars in Cuba, is like learning to drink wine in France" Great guess I can see that new vice starting up, well the good news is I haven’t had a cigarette in about two weeks!

I'm not 21 anymore but god-damn if I can't still pull a rock-star couple of weeks every once in a while. For the 15 days I was in Cuba I know I didn't get to bed before 2 AM any single night. And there were more than a few 4 in the morning stumbles back to the household (sorry Nancy and Angel for waking you up when I got home every night!) Towards the end I felt like I was coming down with something but I think I found the perfect mix of tobacco and rum to kill whatever virus was in my system.

1 comment:

Kashif's Spot said...

The fact that the comment starts with ¨danielle said¨ kinda of gave it away ;-) Glad you´re enjoying the blog!