Thursday, February 16, 2006

Why don´t you all just hurry up and die?

Mick Jagger and his fellow cohorts have once again conspired to make my life difficult. As if being forced to watch that withered old man shake his geriatric ass during the Super Bowl wasn´t punishment enough, a few weeks ago The Rolling Stones decided to hold a huge concert in Rio de Janiero´s Copacobana beach. It happens to be this saturday.

Truth be told I have no desire to see them. But apparently somewhere between 1.5 and 2 million people do. It is literally impossible to find a hotel, apartment or even park bench in this city for saturday night. And this is just a week before Carnaval starts, which was supposed to be my down time in Rio.

Oh well, life presents a problem and we look for solutions. I´ve managed to make friends with a great Colombian guy named José and a Chilean beauty named Teresa, who are staying in the same hostel as I am. We decided we´d try to find a room somewhere in the city. The other option is to flee Rio for a quiet resort town a few hours away which will no doubt be empty.

We´ve spent the last two days doing this. Well actually we spent the last two days talking about doing this as we all sat on the beach and drank. We did actually meet with a guy today who knew a guy who maybe kinda had an apartment, but we decided we didn´t want to wait for him to show up with the keys and went to the beach instead. And then we were late coming back from Corcovado and never did meet him and see this mystical apartment.

As you can tell we are all very preoccupied with this and are starting to get quite nervous.

2 comments:

Scottay said...

I think it's time to get a speedo!

Kashif's Spot said...

They call them sunga's here, and I came this close to buying one. I'll eat shrimp with the shell on, but I still have some inhibitions.